I’m ashamed to say that over the past few years of doing this column I haven’t been especially careful about compiling year-end lists, something that’s been to my detriment every December, when Pazz and Jop time finds me somewhat scrambling. Putting this up here in a public forum I’m hoping will encourage me to tend to it like a garden. Not counting the Box Tops compilation, this is how I would rate the nine records in this month’s column (to be published fairly soon) which happens to be the beginning of my 2013 list:
- Bettie Serveert: Oh, Mayhem! (Second Motion)
- Kitty: D.A.I.S.Y. Rage (self-released, EP)
- Cakes da Killa: The Eulogy (Mishka download)
- Parquet Courts: Light up Gold (What’s Your Rupture?)
- The Rough Guide to the Music of Senegal (World Music Network)
- Yo La Tengo: Fade (Matador)
- Tegan and Sara: Heartthrob (Warner Bros.)
- My Bloody Valentine: mbv (Pickpocket)
- Skrillex: Leaving (OWSLA, EP)
Tom Hull and Jason Gubbels also tend to make lists for B+ and everything below, which I’m not going to bother with. I listened to that Solange EP enough, and that’s at the top of this month’s honorable mentions.
On to next month — or whenever, I guess. Such a great feeling finally being done.